Date nights are so important whether you are married, engaged, or getting to know someone. Ben and I love still dating each other even though we have been married for 9 months now. We use the words "date night" very loosely and look at any small window of time together as a "date night". It is really easy to slip into not planning special time together or just doing the same thing over and over.
So for those of you who want to go on more fun and creative dates with your man but cannot afford to do a fancy dinner and $20 movie every weekend, this post is for you. Here is a list of some of our "go to" date nights. The best part is that most of them are cheap, or free.
- Go on a walk + stop at a coffee shop. - we will do this often since our favorite coffee shop is right down the street from our home. We will split a latte and sit and chat. It is so fun...and is less than $5.
- Bake together - we LOVE sweets. So this is a fun way to spend time together doing something we both love and most times I always have what we need to throw together some sweet treat (looking for a fun date night recipe? try these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls)
- TV show marathon. - any Office fans out there? watching several episodes of The Office is sure to bring lots of laughs, and cuddling...perfect way to spend a weekend night right?
- Music night. - Ben and I love music, I can sing, and he play the guitar, banjo and piano...so having jam sessions are always so much fun. Sometimes we will even walk to Mississippi State's Chapel of Memories (where Ben proposed) and Ben will play the piano there. Those are always fun nights.
- Game night. - you can never go wrong here.
- Spontaneous trip. Go crazy, 2 am trip to Waffle House, or New Orleans, or the beach...be spontaneous.
- Dollar Tree Date. - You each have $5 to pick out a gift for the other in whatever category you pick...tackiest, most useful, cheapest, most thoughtful...be creative with it.
- Sunrise + Breakfast. I am a breakfast date fanatic, so this is personal favorite. And you don't have to spend a ton on breakfast, go grab a bagel or donuts, or make it yourself!
- Cook some type of new food together. - sushi, Asian, Thai, Indian?
- Wander a bookstore, mall, Walmart, or all the above. - This is almost a weekly tradition. We live in a small town so we always go to Walmart, we look at camping stuff, home goods, even food sometimes...we just have no agenda and it is always such a fun thing.
So here are 10 of our favorite "go to" date nights and most are either free or under $20...they are great options when you are tight on money (any newlyweds out there wanna amen me on that?) Check out more of our date night ideas here! What are your favorite date nights? Would love to hear from you!